LeapZipBlog: chinafreightus's blog: How to Import Products to Amazon FBA USA from China?

How to Import Products to Amazon FBA USA from China?

September 20, 2019 by chinafreightus  

Believe it or not, a good number of private-label vendors have never even stepped on American soil, and their sales go above $100,000 per month. This is no coincidence since today there are multiple alternatives to selling on Amazon in this way. You all know that the Amazon FBA store that sells the most in the world is the American one. The sales of this store in the US marketplace, in 2015 alone reached $107 billion, an increase of more than 20% compared to 2014. If you do not live in the United States, and you want to sell in this marketplace, then you have reached the right post.

Import from China into the USA from another country

Unless you get a supplier that is physically in the United States, you must import your merchandise from China or other countries. Although this is a process that is not as cumbersome as in other countries, it is important to know what to sell on Amazon FBA you must have a series of previous requirements for your product to reach the Amazon wineries.

The import process

In the United States for the importation of products, an IOR or "Importer of record" is needed, which is no more than the person who is responsible for the imported cargo. This will be requested in some cases. It is important to note that Amazon will never be the IOR and in case of consigning it that way when it reaches its warehouses, they will return it.


The IOR is the individualization of the person who is responsible for that burden. This person must have a tax identification number (EIN) or social security number (SSN), the latter being only for US citizens. By definition, if your products are Shipping from China to Amazon FBA through couriers such as DHL, UPS, FEDEX, and others, you will not need this number and they will take care of the forms, customs declarations and others, including the IOR. But there are other times that this will not happen and it is in the following cases:

Merchandise valued at more than USD $ 2,500: In this case the merchandise will need to go through the process of "customs clearance" (if that is a word) which takes time and will need you (the company) to take care of these costs (if obvious, Customs always charge!), and they will ask for your number.

Merchandise sent by ship (Sea Shipping): Usually this type of shipment is slower and upon arrival at the port, they will ask for the papers. It is possible that your merchandise is not valued at more than $ 2,500 but you still need your papers to release the merchandise. You will also need the EIN.

How do you get an EIN?

The way to get an EIN is a fairly easy process; however, everything around it is somewhat cumbersome. The EIN is a number delivered by the IRS (Internal Revenue Service or the American Treasury) and allows you to regulate and prosecute that you pay taxes on the sales of your products or services in the United States.