Anwen Wilson's blog
August 17, 2017 by Anwen Wilson
Bill Gates has given away $4.6bn (£3.6bn) to charity in his largest donation since 2000.
He remains the world's richest person, despite giving away 64 million shares in Microsoft. The shares are equivalent to 5% of his total fortune, currently estimated to be $89.9bn. Since 1994 Mr Gates, 61, and his wife Melinda have given away a total of $35bn in cash and stocks to a range of charitable causes. The donation was made in June but became public Mcafee Support Number UK on Monday following the filing of a document with the US Securities and Exchange Commission. Mr Gates' share in Microsoft is now just 1.3%. Prior to this, Mr Gates gave away $16bn in Microsoft shares in 1999 and $5.1bn in 2000.New money
The majority of all previous donations have been made to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which is primarily focused on reducing world poverty, combating infectious diseases and providing universal access to computers. It is not known who the recipient of this latest donation is, however when federal documents are filed, it usually means new money is being given to a foundation, the Chronicle of Philanthropy reports.In 2010, Mr and Mrs Gates and the well-known investor and philanthropist Warren Buffett created the Giving Pledge, and as of May 2017, 158 individuals or couples have agreed to contribute at least half of their wealth to charity.
This latest donation is the biggest charitable gift to have been made anywhere in the world so far this year.The second largest was made by Mr Buffett, who donated almost $3.2bn to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation last month.And the third biggest came from Dell Computer Corporation founder Michael Dell and his wife Susan.
In May the couple gave more than $1bn to their foundation, which focuses on children's issues and community initiatives.
August 14, 2017 by Anwen Wilson
Pokemon Go's first birthday went horrifically, with the company responsible for making it issuing refunds and free coins to attendees. Niantic, which makes the app, had hoped to mark the occasion with Pokemon Go Fest. That event was held in Chicago and was intended as a celebration for the people still playing the location-based game. But many people who arrived couldn't log in and the servers melted down. That left Niantic forced to issue refunds for tickets and to give out free Pokemon and $100 worth of virtual currency. Exactly a year ago, the app began its ascent to international success and a total of 750 million downloads. And not long after that, it began its rapid descent again, after being plagued by server problems and other technical issues. The company had hoped to rekindle some of that initial success as well as celebrating the people who continue to play the game a year on. But Niantic CEO John Hanke was booed when he took the stage at Chicago's Grant Park to address the thousands of frustrated Pokemon enthusiasts.
Some in attendance had paid as much as $400 online for the tickets, which sold out within minutes of their June release. While no official attendance figures were available, organisers had planned for as many as 20,000 Pokemon players and "trainers" at the festival billed by Niantic as the first official anniversary event in the world. Mark Haberkorn of Chicago, a member of the Official Pokemon Go 40 Club, an international online community of high-level players, said he started waiting in line for the opening of the festival at 6 a.m. "The excitement has just been drastically minimised because of what we've experienced today," Haberkorn told the Chicago Tribune.
Late in the day, Niantic's Chief Marketing Officer Mike Quigley tried to placate irritated players by announcing that everyone who scanned a code when they entered the park would automatically receive the Legendary Pokemon Lugia, a rare and powerful creature difficult to defeat in virtual battle and prized by Pokemon enthusiasts.
Niantic says Pokemon Go has been downloaded 750 million times since it was launched. The augmented reality game that uses GPS to locate, capture, battle and train virtual creatures was introduced in the United States in July 2016.
Read more: Storify
August 14, 2017 by Anwen Wilson
Facebook has made its biggest move to date to compete in the television market by expanding its video offerings with programming ranging from professional women's basketball to a safari show and a parenting program.The redesigned product, called "Watch," will be available initially to a limited group in the US on Facebook's mobile app, website and television apps, the company said. The world's largest social network added a video tab last year, and it has been dropping hints for months that it wanted to become a source of original and well-produced videos, rather than just shows made by users. Reuters reported in May that Facebook had signed deals with millennial-focused news and entertainment creators Vox Media, BuzzFeed, ATTN, Group Nine Media and others to produce shows, both scripted and unscripted. "We've learned that people like the serendipity of discovering videos in News Feed, but they also want a dedicated place they can go to watch videos," Daniel Danker, Facebook's product director, said in a statement on Wednesday.Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg said in a Facebook post that Watch would allow users to "chat and connect with people during an episode, and join groups with people who like the same shows afterwards to build community." Facebook said the shows would include videos of the Women's National Basketball Association, a parenting show from Time Inc and a safari show from National Geographic. Facebook is already broadcasting some Major League Baseball games and that would continue, the company said.
ATTN said on Wednesday it had two original series coming to Facebook Watch: a health program with actress Jessica Alba and a relationship advice show. Eventually, the platform would be open to any show creator as a place to distribute video, Facebook said.
The company, based in Menlo Park, California, faces a crowded market with not only traditional television networks but newer producers such as Netflix and YouTube as well as Twitter and Snap.
Read more: Abilogic
August 10, 2017 by Anwen Wilson
North Korea's state-run media reported the country is "carefully examining" plans to attack the U.S. territory of Guam on Wednesday. The plans include using medium- to long-range ballistic missiles.
The threat is unsurprising for the more than 160,000 people who live on the small island, roughly the size of Chicago, in the western Pacific Ocean. Guam is the largest and most southern island in the Mariana island chain. Part of Micronesia, Guam lies about 3,800 miles west of Honolulu, Hawaii. Dededo is the most populous village on the island. Dell Contact Number The indigenous people are referred to as Chamorros and are considered U.S. citizens by birth. However, residents of the colony do not pay U.S. income taxes or vote for president. In addition to having their own popularly elected governor and a small legislature, Guam sends a non-voting delegate to the U.S. House of Representatives. In the 1980s, the residents of Guam wanted to become a commonwealth on par with Puerto Rico, but their efforts failed.
The island was claimed by the Spanish in 1565 and became a U.S. territory in 1898, after the Spanish-American war. Japanese forces briefly occupied the island from 1941 to 1944, but the United States recovered it in 1944. In 1950, the island became Dell Helpline an unincorporated territory of the United States.
Guam is home to several bases for U.S. armed forces, including the Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard. A defense system is already in place, -- the U.S. Army's Terminal High Altitude Area Defense, or THAAD -- which protects the island by shooting down ballistic missiles. It is the closest U.S. territory to North Korea.
August 10, 2017 by Anwen Wilson
Hackers could wipe out electricity grids through taking advantage of flimsy security loopholes in solar panel equipment, a Dutch researcher has claimed. Seventeen vulnerabilities in inverters, used to convert electricity from solar panels, were discovered by Willem Westerhof. Through the loopholes, he suggests it is possible to hack devices and control the flow of electricity – putting power supplies in the hands of malicious attackers. Tests were carried out on what Mr Westerhorf, a cyber security engineer in Amsterdam, says is the “most secure” brand of electric inverters, SMA. SMA responded in a statement saying the inverters not connected to the internet are secure Norton Support Number and that only four of its models are insecure from vulnerabilities. “We already assessed the mentioned issues on a technical basis and [are working] intensively on the correction."
Speaking to the BBC, Mr Westerhof said: "If an attacker does that on a large scale that has serious consequences for the power grid stability." Electricity grids in Europe are intertwined as power is exchanged between countries across the continent. An attack on one part would result in a power cut in another. Mr Westerhof reportedly discovered the flaws doing his undergraduate thesis and publicised his research in a talk at a security conference in the Netherlands on Monday. As electricity grids rely on equipment shoring up a balance between supply and demand, hackers could overload the grid causing power outages across a whole network.
In July, hackers targeted Irish energy networks through malicious emails.
Software inside personalised emails to staff at the Electricity Supply Board intended to give hackers the ability to take out part of the electricity grid
Read more: Why Do You Need Antivirus?