LeapZipBlog: wormholetattoo

wormholetattoo's blog

1 blogs

Tragedy Caused by Black Henna Tattoos

June 18, 2019 by wormholetattoo  

It seems that a temporary tattoo, such as tattoo stickers or simulation tattoos, is a good choice for the people who want to get a tattoo but fear pain and regret. Henna tattoos become new favorite for many tattoo lovers since there is no needles no pain when people get them. A Henna tattoo is a kind of body painting, and a sort of old body decoration art. It is very popular in Southeast Asia, Middle East and North Africa. The material for hand painting is from a certain shrub named Henna. People pick off its leaves and break them down,then leaves release a pigment called lawsone. This dye is an important material for hand painters. To be serious, it is different from common tattoos. It is painted on skin as a decoration, rather than pierced. Generally, it can last for several days or a few of weeks. The story for today is about this kind of tattoo. Unfortunately, the hero regrets getting henna tattoos forever. The couple in this picture are from United Kingdom. The husband, Martin Gulliver, 50-year-old, is a Royal Mail manager. His wife, Sylvia, is 43-year-old. They have one son and one daughter. The son is older, 9-year-old. The daughter is 7-year-old. The family lived a happy life.They love their children ardently. The family decided to go on holiday in Egypt in summer. At first, the journey was great. But Sylvia went to the hospital with a gall bladder infection at the second week. Luckily, she recovered soon. The children were well behaved when their mother was in hospital. Martin was gratified and decided to reward them. As I said at the beginning, even though henna tattoos are new to us, they has existed for more than 1000 years. You can see them everywhere in Egypt. The two children had been attracted by this art since they came there. And they told Martin many times that they wanted ones. Martin considered it. He thought henna tattoos were not permanent and the skin art was kind of blessing, so he agreed them to get henna tattoos. Maybe the tattoos can also be a good sign for the family. There was a salon that offered henna tattoos at the four-star hotel where they lived in. The two children who were under 10 had their first tattoos, black henna tattoos. The arm on right was Madison’s However, Sebastian regretted it soon. He said the tattoo was itchy and cleaned it. As for Madison, she didn’t feel any uncomfortable. She were it until the holiday was over. However, shortly after returning home, it was starting to get bad on 25th, July. At first, the skin under her tattoo was itchy and started to bubble. They washed it right away. At that time, Martin begun to find more information about black henna tattoos online. However, what he saw was all the disturbing truth... He found henna tattoos should be red-brown. The reason why Madison’s tattoo was black was that the material contained a chemical dye. This chemical ingredient is called paraphenylenediamine (PPD), which is usually used in permanent hair dye. Tattoo paste will cause allergic contact dermatitis once it contains PPD at high level (over 2.5%). And its sensitization has a major impact on children’s health, the consequences are unimaginable. The couple took Madison to hospital right away. At first, doctors gave them steroid cream to treat the tattoo area. But her condition didn’t become better, blisters started to form on Madison’s fingers. She was quickly sent to the emergency room. Doctors in a general hospital gave them several different creams and ointments, but non of them worked. Martin started to panic and took her to burn’s specialists Salisbury District Hospital. Outside the clinic,the couple became more and more restless. Martin said: 'We started to panic. They had never seen it before, and each time we went in they were trying different things but it was getting worse and worse.' Luckily, experts knew how to deal with Madison’s condition after they diagnosed her illness. In order to curing her burning sensation better, doctors carried out a test on the liquid seeping from the blisters on Madison's skin. After dealing with these blisters, Madison was referred to a scar management unit and has to wear a pressure bandage for at least six months to minimise the scars covering her arm. "Because of this black Henna tattoo, my daughter is likely to leave a permanent trauma." Martin repented. In an interview, Martin said that he felt guilty seeing the young daughter suffering such pain. If he had refused their request, this tragedy wouldn’t have happened. 'We were entirely unaware of the dangers and I think they should warn of this in the brochures.It is dangerous to use chemicals on children. We share our painful experience, because we don't want to have such horrible reactions to anybody in the future again. The hotel in Hurghada sent the family an apology letter. They said they no longer offered the tattoos in salon when they what happened to Madison. The experience of the Martin family has caused widespread concern in the UK. In just one week, it is not the first case of adverse reactions caused by henna tattoos, like Madison. Just earlier this week, a 7-year-old boy named Theo Luckett also suffered fatal allergic reactions because he also got a henna tattoo when he took on a holiday in Bulgaria. In response to two cases in the week, the National Health Service warns: these 'black henna' tattoos can contain high levels of toxic chemical dye, which is normally illegal to use on the skin. In an interview,many exports said everyone who wants to try black henna tattoos should be cautious about the dangers of PPD being abused. A doctor said: 'PPD is safely and legally used in permanent hair dyes where clear instructions are given, and where the maximum level is controlled by law. But black henna often contains PPD at high levels, to give a dark colour quickly. Apart from the chemical burn and possible scarring in reaction to a black henna tattoo, there is a real risk of becoming sensitised to PPD. As we said, PPD can lead to allergic contact dermatitis when its level is 2.5%. In a word, PPD is not that harmful itself. But if you have tried black henna tattoos and touch PPD again, there may be a serious allergic reaction. The consequence may be worse.... A British woman Julie McCabe died in 2012 because of hair dye which led a serious allergic reaction. At that time, Julie’s family are puzzled by her death, since it is not her first time to use that hair dye. Later, according to the police investigation report, they discovered that she had had a black henna tattoo abroad 5 years earlier. Since then, every time she used hair dye, she suffered different allergic reaction, such as itching and rashes. Tragically, she was not aware of that in time. She died the last time she used her hair dye. Remember that real henna paste is red-brown and is made from natural plant. If you are offered a black henna tattoo, it isn't actually true henna. Please be vigilant. ref http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4795112/Seven-year-old-girl-left-horrifying-chemical-burns.html